Wednesday, 7 December 2011

uCMDB Browser (again)

Version 1.0 works a treat - except I need to get Tomcat running as a service on the app server. Every time I log off, uCMDB browser dies... So I've taken to just closing RDC, keeping my session running. Must look into sorting it out soon - time, always it's time...

I still think the browser's a major enhancement to usability - not for me but for people like sys admins, incident managers, change admin staff - easy to use & easy to run. No messing about with Java, no learning to use the client. Brilliant.

Example - I am pushing data from uCMDB into Atrium. The Atrium admin can use the uCMDB Browser to look at CIs in uCMDB, check they've come over properly in the push or look up records (e.g. a server) to request new related CIs be included in the integration. They never need a login to uCMDB (I use the guest login for everyone) and they don't need to know how to use the client.

Another example of browser usage - OpSec can browse the data and notice that an account which should have been closed some times ago is still on some machines. They get that closed down and that's one security issue resolved thanks to uCMDB browser. Brilliant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment