Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Solaris zones

Crikey, getting Solaris zone discovery to work is awkward. I have spent two hours working with an excellent Solaris sys admin (also a Mike) and have encountered an interesting problem. It looks like it may be a script error in the content pack.

The account has permission to use sudo on the appropriate commands on the container. The proper paths and binaries are specified in the credentials set. When the account uses zlogin to access a zone, it appears not to be prefixing all appropriate commands with 'sudo'. This means that they fail on the container (dladm and netstat) when the script runs, while they can be run properly if one logs in as the discovery user. Oddly, if I substitute the specified binaries in the credential set with the wild card * then the failing commands now work but - of course - others not specified in the sudoers file then fail. What is it that the wild card does for e.g. netstat that specifying its correct path, that of sudo and adding it to the sudoers file does not?

Hmm. I may have to mention this today if I get time to dial into the practitioner's call and I might also have to log a support call with HP.

In the meantime I have learned an awful lot (for me) about the way sudoers is set up on Solaris 10, with especial reference to enabling zlogin activities. Excellent :)

No comments:

Post a Comment