Friday, 18 November 2011

Ownership

A chap that used to work in the company wrote a pair of patterns (one for WMI, one for SSH) to retrieve server 'owners' from  the servers. These patterns faithfully run once a week and update the Organisation to Node relationship.

It's very handy and wildly under-used information and I have spent a fair amount of time publicising it inside the company. I think some people even find it useful :)

A new Owner appeared the other week. Same name as one of the 'old' Owner teams but with a # on the end. Took a bit of figuring out but then I noticed that they were all UNIX servers and had a chat with a very helpful sys admin. Turns out you can't comment out the old Owner and replace it with a new value... D'oh!

He ran an editing script, I re-ran the SSH pattern; job done, data neatly tidied up.

No comments:

Post a Comment